Friday, March 20, 2009

Question of the Day

If you could be any flavor of Poptart, which one would you choose and why?

I would most definitely choose to be the s'mores flavor and those of you who know me know why. I fricking love s'mores. I think they are the best edible invention since brownies. I have even perfected making them in the microwave. That's how much I love them.

Speaking of food (and aren't I always speaking of food?), I had an amazingly extravagant dinner last night in Portland, Maine. I intended on going out to eat lobster, but stumbled (via Yelp) instead upon a quaint little restaurant called 555. Little did I know when I arrived (but soon discovered), this place has been notoriously featured in such publications as Travel & Leisure and Wine Spectator. And, damn Gina, it was gooooooood.

Let's start off with the fact that the atmosphere was totally inviting, even to a solo diner like myself. The lighting was dim and accented with candles, the conversation and music was appropriately loud enough, and each table was adorned with fresh flowers (I checked). The service was impeccable. New silverware after every course. Water always replenished. Every time I rose to use the restroom, I came back to find my napkin folded neatly between my fork and my knife. I felt extremely important.

And the food. Oh the food! I began with a glass of Monte Volpe Primo Rosso which is a red blend from Mendocino County, California. Deliciously robust with a fruity, sweet finish. After ordering the "seasonal tasting menu" from my adorable server, I was given a small spoonful of spicy chicken salad with tortilla chips and a grilled caper. (All of this cuisine was superb, so I'm going to spare you the "YUMMY" or "INCREDIBLE" after every course. Just know it was all delectable and heavenly.) My second course was bits of their in-house made foccaccia bread with a lemon chive butter. The bread was moist with just enough sponge and the butter was out-of-this-world. I could have eaten that all night! Third, I received a chipotle-spiked sweet potato soup with firehouse pork and lime sour cream drizzle. Again, this dish was interesting and elaborate, with a good kick and a lot of flavor.

Next came my salad: A beauty of shaved hazelnuts, great hills blue cheese, and a smear of cherry preserves over a bed of chicory and butter lettuces. This was my least favorite of the evening because it was too salty for my palate. It didn't have the sweet taste that could have come from a few dried cranberries or small slices of apple. Still, it was aestically appealing and the lettuce was soft without being limp, yet crisp.

The main course came soon after (at long last!) and I was most excited about this: Their signature dish, the truffled macaroni and cheese with hand-rolled torchio pasta, artisinal cheese sauce, and shaved black summer truffles combined with the most luscious, savory, melt-in-my-mouth amazing butter-poached Maine lobster I've ever had. It was beautifully presented in a small, square-shaped dish with a little lid that sat looking on. The pasta was perfectly cooked, softened just right, and if the cheese sauce was designer, this would have been Dior. The chunks of lobster were ginormous and filling and scrumptious! I can definitely understand why this is their trademark. It is unparalleled in terms of gourmet cuisine.

For dessert, I first had a cheese plate which featured an aged (creamy) sharp cheddar with apple pear compote, spiced nuts, and house-made crostinis. The combination of these ingredients was quite good and I felt like I was in France while eating them. Then, I was delighted to receive my "coffee and donuts" in the form of glazed, holed donuts with chocolate chip coffee ice cream and a rich chocolate dipping sauce (in the cutest little cup I've ever seen). The ice cream was the creamiest, smoothest I've ever tasted - I could have bathed in that shit!

Finally, as a last little treat with the bill, I was given a house-made Oreo cookie which was a sweet and delicious ending to a glorious night. Oh so good!

The dinner was a total of two and a half hours of mind-blowing cuisine. I spent a total of $90 on all eight courses and (OH) was it worth it. Every penny was mouth-watering and divine! Highly recommended for the high rollers!

On a completely separate note, I have discovered that one of my favorite things to do is eat ice cream while watching America's Next Top Model. How ironic. (I love that show. JH says it should be called "America's Next Mediocre Model" due to the fact that no one of substance has ever emerged from Tyra's little reality baby. I agree. But I still love it.) Eating the one of the most fattening foods during this neurotic television show is my way of saying "Eff you!" to the ridiculous restrictions of the modeling and entertainment worlds. And even if no one can see me or witness me pigging out (and "boycotting" in my own way), I still stand (lie) strong: Ice cream is good for you and everyone should be eating it!

No comments: