Thursday, March 5, 2009

Make Bethlehem Glitter, Please Don't Litter

Well, then good thing I'm not going to trash talk Bethlehem. And for a town of "nearly 72,000 people in eastern Pennsylvania," (according to their official website) they have some dang good restaurants here! 

Now, I don't know what I've been doing on this blog for the past 18 months, but it's all going to change based on the vision I had today. I'm telling you: For my love of good eating, great food, and fabulous restaurants, why in Mary and Joseph's sake (I AM in Bethlehem...) have I not been focusing my writing towards all things edible in our world? I've turned over a new leaf and it starts today. (Disclaimer: Petty life happenings will still be included.) 

Bethlehem is a quaint town nestled between the rolling hills of eastern Pennsylvania. You might think, upon arrival, that you have already been to many places like this before, but you'd be wrong. In reality, you have stumbled upon a gem of a city. A little diamond in the rough, if you will. Home to the historical and once-world-famous Bethlehem Steel Factory as well as both Lehigh and Moravian Universities, this place was once the treasure-trove of Pennsylvania...I think.

Last night, when "yelping" (you do realize this is a verb of the internet era?) local restaurants, I found a trendy place in the old downtown area called Bethlehem Brew Works. Let me tell you folks, I was not disappointed in my first course which consisted of spinach salad with candied walnuts, dried cranberries, and green apples finished with a cinnamon vinaigrette and topped with crumbled blue cheese. Nor was I unhappy with my pancetta macaroni and cheese entree which featured a creamy blend of asiago, fontina, and white cheddar cheeses pancetta bacon and fussily pasta sprinkled with buttered bread crumbs and served with plum tomatoes stewed in their flagship ESB and Italian spices. Don't take it from me, look at their menu! I completed my meal with a cold glass of their Steelgaarden Wit beer (brewed in-house) which was smooth, light, and crisp...the perfect compliment to my hearty spinach and pasta. 

This morning, I headed over to Vegan Treats to try out what some of the locals say are the best cakes and brownies (vegan or not vegan) in all of Pennsylvania. Of course, I had to be in on this dirty little secret, too, so I ordered way too much stuff (duh) including a raspberry crumble bar, a peanut butter mousse brownie, and a chocolate mint cookie...and I "desserted" my way right through lunch. I discovered that, yes it's true, YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU'RE EATING VEGAN. Which is kind of the point, right? At least to my lactose-intolerant friend it is. 

In just a few minutes, if I'm feeling up to it, I'm going to head down to Loopers Grille and Bar to sample one of their 400+ martinis. And there's even a little chocolate shop right down the street (though I've already had plenty of chocolate today). After that, I'm stopping in Hershey (do you see a theme?) before driving on to State College tonight. 

XO.

1 comment:

ari said...

OMG, you just gave me the best idea ever! I'm thinking a group blog for PM's that is simply for restaurants... we all post places we go and like and tag them with city and type of food. It could become an amazing resource of food across the nation, as seen by BER-ers. What say you?? :)