Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Have a Serious Problem.

I've become attached to my pens. I have a favorite and then *BOOM* I can't ever let it go. And what's worse is that I actually lament, I actually grieve if I happen to lose my "pen of the moment." This problem is almost as bad as my addiction to my cell phone. Right now, my favorite pen is a black fine-tipped Pro-Fit Papermate. Gosh, she's a beauty. I love her.

Just yesterday, I ate at a great riverside restaurant in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania called Duke's Bar and Grille. I ate the tuscan grilled cheese with the tomato florentine soup (super yummy) while I pondered life. One of my wonderments: Why do people live where they live? I mean, I GET that deciding on a life location may be a no-brainer for some people and they make a choice based on their family, their job, or their spouse. But I still wonder about it all because there are SO MANY different places to be. Different cities in which to live. In particular, I was looking (staring) at two beautiful women who were eating at the same restaurant and I was wondering why they live in Harrisburg. Of all places in the world, why there? It's not my intention to bash Harrisburg (hey, it's right next to Hershey!) or Pennsylvania (one of the most beautiful landscapes of any state I've visited), I'm just saying - WHY HERE? Why not Newburgh, New York? Or Roswell, New Mexico? Or Pasadena, California? Or Omaha, Nebraska? Or Victoria, British Columbia? Or Lausanne, Switzerland? Or Moscow? Or Tokyo? Or New Zealand? Why Harrisburg? Often times, I wish I could live this life 5 more times, just to squeeze all of the possibilities out of it. What if I'm interested in 20 different jobs and I want to pursue all of them? What if I am interested in 20 different men and I want to pursue all of them? What if part of me wants children and part of me doesn't? Shouldn't I have multiple different, separate lives with relatively similar circumstances during which I can explore all of my options? I think that would be brilliant. The wave of the future! The next big thing!

In other news, I have discovered which is my favorite kind of M&M. Are you ready? It's for sure the almond one. That IS the best. Far superior to the others. (Even the original.) It's been a candy-coated week for me: I have been to Hershey, Pennsylvania 3 times in the last week. Three times! Once because I had time to spare and wanted to see the candy kiss light posts, once because my colleague had read Milton Hershey's biography and wanted to see his endowed school, and once because we didn't get a chance to go on the chocolate tour, so we had to go back. It was all worth it! I love candy. We were even privileged enough to smell the peanut butter blowing from the Reese's factory as we drove into town. Yum!

Tonight, I'm flying from Philadelphia (I'm actually across the border in Cherry Hill, New Jersey) to Seattle and tomorrow, I'm working in Seattle with one of my favorite colleagues. Then, it's a relaxing weekend at home where I'll do a few errands before flying out to Richmond, Virginia on Sunday morning. I'm literally spending all of my March on the east coast save one weekend when I'll be in Green Bay.

Oh, and before I go, I must tell you all about my experience in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania at Looper's with their one million martinis! So, I DID decide to stop by the restaurant before driving to State College and I was pleased when I walked inside to find not only a pleasant atmosphere, but also an extremely attractive black man who was ready to take my martini order. (The reason I mention his race is because he was wearing a shirt that said "Chocolate is the new green" and by golly, he was right and he was HOT. Some mighty fine chocolate for sure. I would take a bit out of him and I wouldn't be sorry!) When he handed me the list of martinis, I was certain I was going to pass out just by proximity. And that list. Phew! That list is not for the faint of heart. (No pun intended.) For someone as indecisive as myself, it was mighty helpful to have a knowledgeable (and luscious) bartender waiting to be of assistance.

I waffled between the "Pineapple Upside Down," the "Thigh High Holster," and the "Happy Freakin' Birthday" for a while (great names, right?), but ultimately, I settled on "Happy Hollyday" with Mr. Hottie Bartender's help. From what I can recall, this martini was shaken (not stirred) with an appealing mix of raspberry schnapps, raspberry liquor, cranberry juice, and pomegranate juice. When I took my first sip, I was delightfully surprised by it's flavor: it ran down smooth with a taste of old-fashioned raspberry soda pop and it was full of texture. Frothy. Creamy. Fruity. Refreshing. Delicious.

It set me back a healthy $10 (I can't say I wasn't surprised!) plus tip, but it was well worth the eye candy, the time to think, the scrumptiousness, and the experience!

No comments: