Monday, June 2, 2008

Wowza!

Geez. It's been a while, eh? (Here comes my Minnesota speak again. Welcome back.)

I've been busy. REALLY busy. At work. CRAZY busy.

Then, I left for Minneapolis on Thursday to sing for a good friend's wedding in Glenwood, Minnesota which is about 2 hours north of the cities. IT WAS INSANE.

Let me tell you about it:

So, my flight was delayed by an hour because of thunderstorms in Minneapolis (we were in a holding pattern and all arrivals were suspended), so I got in around 9pm and we left for Glenwood at 10pm in the pouring rain. The pianist, Jax, and her boyfriend, Judder (nicknames, obviously) picked me up in a HUMUNGOUS fricking truck that sits eye-level to semis.

We drove up in crazy weather conditions and arrived in the middle of nowhere (aka Glenwood) around 12:30pm only to be greeted by an empty resort since everyone who had come for the wedding was at the bachelorette party in Alexandria, which is a few miles northwest. So, we got directions to the cabins from a drunken groom who totally misled us. We started out at a cabin that was small and thought it HAD to be where we were staying (though it was old and stinky), so we got into pajamas, washed our faces, brushed our teeth, and got a phone call from the bride telling us that we were at the wrong place. So, (with difficulty as it was PITCH BLACK outside) we walked next door. Wrong cabin #2.

The next cabin was significantly larger, but also significantly creepier. It was something out of a horror movie...dingy rooms, decor from the 1980s (crocheted quilts, stuffed bears), water seeping around in the basement, poor lighting to scare us even more. I swear we would have gotten locked in a room by a deadly spirit if we wouldn't have gotten out of there. After I received the call that we were in the wrong place, we practically sprinted outside. Wrong cabin again.

So, we haphazardly made our way to a fourth cabin (which, incidentally, was across the damn resort) and found that it was individual little hotel rooms in a large U-shaped building. Judder argued this HAD to be it, but I reminded them that there was no "big common family room" nor were there rooms claimed, so this WAS NOT IT.

By this time, it was about 1:15am and we were irritated, to say the least. And wet (thanks to previously-mentioned thunderstorms). We trucked over to the fifth cabin of the night...which we had to break into via a bedroom door off of the balcony and this cabin was NOT old, was NOT smelly...it was BEAUTIFUL. Something out of "Log Home Magazine." We didn't care if this wasn't the cabin, we were staying. And alas, I'm sure you guessed it...we had broken into wrong cabin #5. At this point, I was informed by a drunken, angry bride that the caravan of intoxicated bastards would be arriving soon, so Jax and I literally stood in the road waiting for someone to point us in the right direction. Sure enough, they drove right by us and didn't even so much as stop to yell. Defeated, we followed them up to the fricking edge of the property (we never even SAW cabins up there - it was much too dark outside) and staggered into the cabin to find a room. Everyone was wasted (except us...unless you count tiredness as equal to drunkeness) and we were not having it, so we went to bed. But I finally got to meet the groom! :)

There are more stories from the weekend, but I'm done with work...so I'm out! More lata.

PS - I've decided to lay off the term "boyfriend." We're not exclusive (only "dating"...or something like that) and thus, there is no need for labeling. Plus, it makes me feel better not having to use the word. I have a serious aversion to it. I sneeze every time I say it. Or puke.

No comments: