Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dating in Seattle.

What a weird phenomenon it is. I mean, if I were actually DOING it. Which, I guess, I kind of am. Or trying to. Or at the very least trying to figure out if I am. Because it's different around here. In a "foreign" culture, it's hard to tell if you're doing something that you usually do when everyone else is doing it differently. Man, I am totally not making sense.

But in all actuality, I like dating. At least, I like the idea of it. It's like trying a whole bunch of ice cream flavors and deciding which one you like...for life. Whoa. What a prospect. But, the problem is, you are not only at risk of getting fat from eating the ice cream (which can be compared to all the emotional baggage one has after a breakup), you are also at risk of changing tastes. So, what happens if you don't necessarily WANT mint chocolate chip after all these years? What if you want butter pecan instead? Or cookie dough? Do you make the switch? You've already tried the butter pecan and determined it gives you acid reflux, but it wasn't that bad. Was it? Or, do you just try mint chocolate chip ice cream with a little chocolate syrup poured over it to make it all new again? Perhaps this isn't the best analogy.

What I'm trying to get at is: How does one go about dating in a city where dating is...so covert?

Maybe it's simply a matter of opening my conscienceness to the prospect of dating. Right?

1 comment:

ari said...

I think the trick is to be open to dating in general, try not to over-analyze, and try to just let things happen as they happen... Unless you're like me and just mess up every chance that comes along by being trapped in your gore-tex bubble. :)