Thursday, August 27, 2009

Seething in Seattle

Over 50. That's how many jobs I have applied for in the last month. That's how many times I've filled in my name, my address, my educational history, my professional experience. That's how many times I've received either no response or just plain no.

I'm starting to get dazed by this process. I'm starting to feel hopeless and unmotivated and rejected and worthless. I'm starting to feel like a zombie by day's end: A computer-staring, money-hoarding, good-for-nothing zombie.

And you know what really gets me in this whole process? It's not the endless and mindless routine of applying or writing cover letters or sending in resumes. It's not the long days of nothingness. It's when I apply for a position that gets me really excited, I wait for a few weeks, I follow up, I hold out hope, and I still don't get a response. BUT THEN, during my daily internet career search, I come across the SAME JOB and it's STILL AVAILABLE. Even after 6 weeks sometimes. Don't think I haven't applied twice: I have. What are these people looking for?! I am talented, bright, enthusiastic, smart, witty, hardworking, and positive. I have two degrees, I have moved across the damn country, I have traveled extensively. I am a well-rounded, quality candidate...how am I falling through the cracks?!

I don't understand it.

ARGH!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just continue, day after day, and think that you will find the perfect job for you. Think about how you would like it to be, visualize it, with details.

Do your work and then take time to restore, to relax and breathe.

I am sure it will come on the right moment.

In thoughts with you from all my heart.

Susanne