Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Conundrum

Unemployment is an interesting thing. People who are employed seem to think that being unemployed is a real treat - who wouldn't want a day in the sun with a book and a margarita? Meanwhile, people who are unemployed yearn for the salary and regular schedule that come with having a job. Both are wholly overrated if you ask me. As an non-working person, I have all the time in the world to shop and eat and lounge and buy, but no money with which to do it. In addition, my motivation is waning. You can bet that I was sure I'd be in the best shape of my life with all this free time I have, but it's hard to get up and run when you could sleep until 10am instead. All I have waiting for me is an entire day of job searching on the internet!

I don't mean to sound like I'm jaded. I'm not. But I've certainly had A LOT of time to think about my life, my prospects, my desires. And I think that having a daily purpose is a strong human need. We NEED to feel like we fill a niche in this world, we NEED to know we are making a difference, we NEED to believe we are promoting our values. We NEED to have goals and plans and connections and conversations. It all leads to satisfaction. It all gives meaning to our existence.

SO, if I can preach for just one second: Be happy that you have a job. Even if you wish you were working elsewhere, at least you have a purpose. But perhaps you could try to find something you LOVE. It really makes life worth it.

1 comment:

Andra Brion said...

wow - 2 comments in a row! I completely agree, I would love for a "break" from the routine, but honestly, I love the purpose I feel at my job, I don't always particularly love my job, but people rely on me here and I don't like letting them down. So even if you don't find the "perfect" job, if you get some satisfaction, even if it's just making your co-workers lives easier, it works! And my theory is "I work to live" - my job allows me to afford the things I want to do when I'm not at work. Anyways, GOOD LUCK! I hope something comes your way soon!

And i hope to see you soon!! Miss you!