Friday, October 17, 2008

Back to Basics

I'm back on the road, back doing my duties as a responsible traveler and professional, back to working out hard and eating well, back to conducting my social life on the phone. And although there are many repeats of my last season on the road and so many feelings that are recognizable from last year, there are a few new aspects to this year that (I'm sure) will keep it interesting. (Long pause to reflect on last sentence) Such as having a boyfriend (yes, it's official and has been so for months now). Such as having so much free time during the day that I could write a book (no, I'm not planning on writing one, so don't ask...I have other projects I'm interested in like discussing politics with every human being who happens to strike up a conversation with me). Such as dealing with an entirely different group of people with different dynamics. Such as being labeled as a "returner" instead of a "newbie." Such as having hotel status right off the bat.

Now, I just have to find a way to jazz things up a bit while trying to shake the minor sadness that comes with not being able to spend time with JH. (I'm serious.) The question I've been asking myself lately: Why is it so much more difficult to be away from one's significant other than friends and family? I mean, I know we're raised to leave our familes - that's part of growing up and gaining independence as an adult. And I guess friends don't radically change the way that we live our lives because friends most likely will be there upon our return. But partners are different. They alter our awareness of ourselves in that we realize they could be temporary. Are we worth it? They don't have to stick around. They have control of their situations...but not of ours. So I guess the natural reaction to that is to spend as much time with them as possible. Who knows how long it will last, right?

Here was my schedule for the past week:
Raleigh, NC
Nashville, TN
St. Louis, MO
Houston, TX
Baton Rouge, LA

And next week:
Savannah, GA
Macon, GA
Atlanta, GA
Denver, CO
Reno, NV

And finally, my free stuff update:

Small piece of banana bread from a cafe in St. Louis
Estimated worth: $2.00

Chicken caesar salad and tortilla soup lunch from hotel restaurant in Baton Rouge
Estimated worth: $15.00

Cheers to having the gift of getting free shit!

No comments: