Friday, March 28, 2008

Southern Living's Not for Me

Today, I've discovered that I am definitely not cut out to live in the South. Balmy weather (which, admittedly, I love right now, but would hate all year long), fast and fried food (can I please get a salad WITHOUT iceberg lettuce?), slow moving (GO FASTER, I'm in a hurry), slow talking (spit it out, j-j-junior), and just a general dirtyness are all qualifications of this area of Birmingham.

In contrast, last night, I spent the evening at the top of the Vulcan Tower which is this huge statue/tower on the top of a bluff that overlooks the entire city of Birmingham. It was well worth the $3.30 I paid to watch the sun set from a few thousand feet about sea level. Romantic, inspiring, and windy are a few words that come to mind when I think about last night.

And, of course, in true Southern fashion, I found myself some good ole BBQ from a little place just a few minutes from my hotel. The thing is...it wasn't very good. Too much worchester sauce in the BBQ (I'm developing a sensitive palate as you can see) and the beef I ordered wasn't shredded. Bummer. The salad (iceberg lettuce strikes again) was okay and the beans were definitely the best part of the meal. Well, that and my Chocolate Mint Balance Bar. I'm so sick of eating out.

Which brings me to my last point: I get to go home tonight! After four months of a continuously strenuous cycle (going home for a week, then traveling for three weeks...going home for a week, then traveling for three weeks...), I'm back in Seattle after only one week on the road. Hallelujah! Here I come!

Finally, besides being in low spirits because I am at the grossest, dirtiest, filthiest, grungiest, smelliest, moldiest, balmiest hotel EVER right now, I am feeling good because...you guessed it...

MY BIRTHDAY IS IN 25 DAYS!!!!!!

1 comment:

CĂ©line said...

I read your post about one and a half hour after you edited it... it seems so closed in time!!!
Night time is here now and gives birth to thoughts, good memories and nostalgy. I am thinking that a year ago I was so eager to spend the week-end in Seattle!!!
Are the trees blossoming as beautifully as last year?
Bises d'Amboise