Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Providence, Rhode Island is a dream come true.

What a quaint little city...it's so lovely here! I'm at a place called the Johnson & Wales Inn - it's a hotel owned by the school (Johnson & Wales) where they "employ" students & interns. Also, to my pleasant surprise, they have a kick-ass restaurant made so by the fact that culinary arts students are scheming up and preparing wonderful dishes. Listen to the dinner I had last night:

1) Baby spinach salad with French brie, cherry tomatoes, sliced & toasted almonds tossed in a raspberry vinagrette along with 2 different kinds of warm & wonderful bread with whipped butter

2) Braised lamb loin with wild mushroom risotto & endive salad accompanied by a glass of pinot noir

3) Mocha creme brulee with whipped cream & espresso bean crumbles

It was more pleasing to the palate than words can describe.

It's weird the places I get to see and the people I get to experience and the food I get to taste...I feel really lucky when nights like last pop up amongst the chaos of traveling every day. I certainly deserved it after the morning/afternoon I had yesterday! What a mini-nightmare! No working overhead, rude hotel staff, annoying and demanding participants...I definitely needed the bath I took in my whirlpool hotel tub and the time I took to read the rest of my book. Last night was surely relaxing, as it needed to be.

In other news, I think I'm becoming more of a snob. Maybe a traveling snob of sorts? I am impatient when I don't get exactly what I want, I'm more discerning then ever before, I am borderline rude when people don't understand me. I have specific needs, people! I expect them to be met because I am the one traveling all the time - not you, hear me? I go from city to city every damn day and the least you could do (instead of being completely and utterly incompetent) is to help a girl out! Seriously...you wouldn't believe the number of times I run into hotel staff that are lazy and impolite and just plain useless. You see? I'm not becoming a snob, I AM one.

Well, I'm gonna go have some b-fast (code word...well, not really...for breakfast) in the restaurant...

Ciao, friends and family!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

could you bring some of that delicious food home?! when do i get to see you next my dear?

Anonymous said...

Am happy to read you again, was wondering if you lost yourself in your big country... somewhere in an airport or on the road!!

A big hug from Nyon
Susanne