Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snowy Seattle

I've never seen anything like this.

I'm serious. Seattle, the city where it rarely snows and the place which is completely immobilized if an inch of such aforementioned snow should fall, has received between 1 and 3 feet of snow. FEET OF SNOW. For a city with 27 snow plows and a million hills (good grief), this is A SHIT TON OF SNOW. This is also no small feat.

Never before have I had to dig my car out of the snow so that I could move it. Never before have I gone to a gas station only to find that they are (like many others) out of gas due to the fact that gas trucks cannot get into the city. Never before have I seen 2 feet of snow in the middle of a busy intersection. Never before have I had to pour hot water onto snow before driving on it to ensure I don't get stuck. Never before have I gone berserk driving on the main arterial roads due to snow being so packed down underneath me that it shakes my car and makes it sound like I am veering off the highway onto those strips of cement that tell you you're about to veer off the highway. Never before have I seen people cross country skiing down the roads in lieu of driving. (They're using their snow shoes, too.) Never before have I had to swerve to avoid so many tire chains on the highway. Never before have I had to run red lights to avoid stopping so my momentum will carry me up each hill. Never before have I had to call 15+ taxi, shuttle, and town car companies just to find a service that will drive me to the airport. Never before have I had to pay $129 to get to the airport from 20 miles away. Never before have I seen so many flights canceled. Never before have I been so nervous that my flight will be canceled. Never before have I seen anything so beautiful or so devastating to an entire, functioning, populous city.

If there's anything to say after what I just wrote, it's this: This is absolute insanity!

No comments: